Monday, June 13, 2011

Southern cooking- Dry rub Ribs and corn souffle


With it officially being summer and all the delicious BBQ foods are shown I have had a craving for ribs. Unlike most people I am not a fan of the wet BBQ sauce and much prefer dry rubs. Since I was feeling like ribs were southern, what better side dish to make than a corn soufflĂ©. My Aunt in Atlanta had made this for us when we were visiting in April and it was so good I couldn’t get it out of my mind. Finally a chance to try it out.

The ribs cooked perfectly and were falling off the bone. After they were in the oven the whole house started to smell like the spices in the rub. What I like most about this recipe is that they come out tender but doesn’t require 6 hours in the hot oven.


Dry Rub Ribs – Memphis

Ingredients:
2 pounds baby back ribs
For the Rub:
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dry oregano
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
25 grinds fresh black pepper
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
I added a few sprinkles of garlic powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Mix the rub ingredients together well in a small bowl.
Remove the membrane from the bone side of the ribs, then rub the vegetable oil onto the ribs. 

Pour the rub over the ribs and work the rub fully and evenly into the ribs. Spread the ribs out evenly on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Bake until tender and juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.



As for the corn soufflĂ©, it was so simple to make. Literally everything gets thrown in a bowl, mixed up and poured into the dish to bake. Since I have 1 oven I cooked it at a lower temperature so they could go in with the ribs and it took a bit longer than the recipe, but still came out golden brown. I wasn’t sure if my picky eater would like them, but Jason and his Dad both went back for seconds which in my book means a job well done!

Corn Casserole

Serves 6-8

Ingredients:
1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (8-ounce) package corn muffin mix (recommended: Jiffy)
1 cup sour cream (I used a light version)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, stir together the 2 cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and melted butter. Pour into a greased 9 by 13-inch casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
Let stand for at least 5 minutes and then serve warm.

Source: Paula Deen

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment