This has been a busy week and I haven’t had time to think through our meals. Since we still wanted to go for a run after work we needed something that was easy and fast so we didn’t end up eating dinner super late. I don’t know how they eat dinner after 8pm in Europe! One of my favorite go to recipes is broccoli and bowties by Barefoot Contessa. It is an easy way to get some vegetables into your meal and even though it is pasta it is still a light dish. I like to add some chicken for protein and this time added some baby carrots since Jason loves them and is not a huge broccoli fan. The few modifications I made turned out well and was a relatively easy and quick dish.
Broccoli and Bowties
Adapted slightly from: Barefoot Contessa Family Style
- Kosher salt
- 8 cups broccoli florets (4 heads or you can use frozen broccoli)
- 1/2 pound farfalle (bow tie) pasta
- Grilled Chicken (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 lemon, zested
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Add the bow-tie pasta and cook according to the package directions. After 8 minutes, add the broccoli into the same water. Let them both cook for another 3 minutes until pasta is tender and broccoli is cooked. Drain and place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Since I added some chicken, I lightly seasoned with salt and pepper and put on the grill to cook. I used tenders since we had them in the house and cut it up into cubes but feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauté pan, heat the butter and oil and cook the garlic and lemon zest over medium-low heat for 1 minute (I added a splash of white wine for some extra flavor). Off the heat, add salt & pepper to taste, and lemon juice and pour this over the broccoli, chicken and pasta. Toss well and sprinkle with Parmesan.