Thursday, June 2, 2011

Dark Chocolate Oatmeal Granola Bars


I don’t know about you but without fail once my day hits 3 or 4 pm I hear a rumble in my tummy. It might be that I need a break from my work but I always was a fan of an afternoon snack. I like granola bars but so many of the ones you buy are full of sugar and don’t actually fill you up. I came across this recipe on another blog and tweaked a few ingredients. The recipe has a good amount of whole grains and fiber (oats, whole wheat pastry flour), healthy fat (walnuts), antioxidants (dark chocolate), and protein (milk & egg) and not much sugar. The flavor comes from the cinnamon, chocolate and vanilla extract instead. I thought they turned out chewy, sweet, crunchy from the nuts and delicious!


Dark Chocolate Oatmeal Granola Bars
(Makes 8 bars)

Ingredients:
Dry:
2 Cups rolled oats
½ Cup whole wheat pastry flour (or regular flour)
¼ Cup chopped walnuts (optional) – I combined walnuts and sunflower seeds
¼ Cup dark chocolate chips (or dried fruit) – I used dark chocolate and craisins
¼ Cup sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. salt

Wet:
1 & ½ Cups skim milk
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Instructions:
1.     Preheat oven to 375. 
2.     In two separate bowls, mix dry ingredients, then wet ingredients. Pour wet into dry, mixing until combined.


3.    Pour batter into a cooking-sprayed baking dish (mine was 8×8). Sprinkle raw oats on top if you like, it will make it look prettier!


4.     Bake 30 minutes. Cut into 8 bars and cool on cooling rack.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment