Monday, October 10, 2011

Pennsylvania Dutch Pumpkin Cake

As much as possible here in Florida, fall is in the air. This weekend it was finally under 90 and even in the 70s in the morning and evening! I took full advantage and made something using one of my favorite fall ingredients, pumpkin! This was a new recipe my mom sent me and I must say was moist and delicious. My judge is always if anyone goes back for more and this time my father-in-law did so I consider it a success. It is more of a spice cake in flavor than pumpkin but it was still very yummy.


Pennsylvania Dutch  Pumpkin Cake

serves 12
Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 cups can solid pack pumpkin
1 tsp. vanilla
Powdered sugar for dusting

Directions:
1. Preheat oven 350.
2. Grease 12 cup bundt pan.
3. Sift first 8 ingredients into medium bowl.
4. Using electric mixer, beat shortening and 2 cups sugar in large bowl to blend. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Add pumpkin & vanilla and beat until combined. Stir in dry ingredients. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
6.  Bake until tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
7. Cool cake in pan on rack 20 minutes. Turn out cake onto rack & cool completely. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead.)
8. Sift powdered sugar over top.



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment