Monday, October 24, 2011

Apple Pie Muffins

We moved into our new house this weekend which was exciting and exhausting all at the same time. Our boxes are still not fully unpacked but most things are put away or the box is cut open on the floor.  I had pulled this recipe and bought the ingredients before moving but when I turned my back, everything was packed up. While my baking box is not unpacked yet, I was able to pull out my muffin tins and found some cute paper muffin liners on clearance at Target so I could whip up some muffins for breakfast.

As I have mentioned, I love apples and since you don't get a sense of fall down here this sounded like a great fall recipe that could also be used throughout the year. This might be one of the few recipes I have made that looked like the pictures and even like the muffins you buy at the bakery! I was really impressed with how they turned out with the crumble/streusel topping and soft chunks of apples and moist muffin. It was fun to be able to use our new oven and make the kitchen smell delicious. Now I just have to be careful not to eat them all!


Apple Pie Muffins
Makes 12-16 muffins

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2  Granny Smith Apples, peeled, chopped

Topping:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 Tablespoons butter, melted

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12 cup muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together 2 1/4 cups flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, 1/2 cup melted butter, vanilla and 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar. Stir until sugar has dissolved.

3. Pour butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Gently fold in apples. Use a large scoop to fill each muffin well, filling the cups to the top.

4. In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/3 cup flour, rolled oats, and cinnamon. Drizzle in 3 tablespoons of melted butter, mixing until well blended. Sprinkle this over the tops of the muffins.

5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed.

6. Cool on wire rack. Store at room temperature or freeze.

Notes:
- If you choose to finely dice your apples, take not that they will disappear into the muffin. I left my pieces a little bigger to ensure nice bites of soft apple goodness.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment