Saturday, July 2, 2011

Summer Berry Muffins

I had bought a big container of blueberries and there is no way that I could eat them all before they go bad. I came across this recipe for summer berry muffins that looked quick and easy. It also allowed me to use the new muffin tin I received at my bridal shower! I thought I had some frozen mixed berries from smoothies but turned out I used of them all so I turned these into just blueberry muffins. They turned out light and fluffy, not a dense muffin and not too sweet which is nice. I might try with strawberries or peaches also.



Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cups sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup milk  
1 egg, at room temperature  
1 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 cup fresh, frozen blueberries
1/2 cup fresh, frozen raspberries

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray a twelve cup muffin-pan with with baking spray or line with paper liners.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well blended.  Create a well in the center.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together milk, egg, and two extracts until well blended.

4. Pour the milk mixture and melted butter in to the well in the flour mixtures and stir until mostly combined.  Fold in berries gently to avoid smashing them.

5. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, dividing evenly. They should be no more than 3/4 full.

6. Bake until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approx. 18-20 minutes.

7. Let muffins cool in the pan on a rack for five minutes, then remove and continue to cool on the rack.

Source: Apple A Day

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment