Thursday, March 15, 2012

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Sometimes I just crave banana bread. The only problem is that you have to wait for the bananas to get brown and soft so they are sweet and can be mashed. I bought some at the store that were not green but still had a few days to go. Like a little kid I checked them daily to see if they were ready yet and while they could have stayed another day or two I declared them brown enough yesterday and went to work on my banana bread. You may notice a theme in my recipes, I love chocolate. So naturally I would use a recipe that calls for chocolate chips in the bread for added sweetness. I also enjoy walnuts for an extra crunch and texture but unfortunately didn't have any in the house, maybe next time. I like this bread because it isn't too sweet. Be sure not to over cook it or you will get a crunchy outside and dry out the middle. Otherwise this is great for breakfast or a snack. I knew it was a success when Jason came home and immediately took a slice on our way to walk the dog.


Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Serves: 12-18

Source: Woman's Day

Ingredients:
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine (not spread), softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 2 large)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 ounces)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:
Heat oven to 350F. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.

Beat butter, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time until blended. Beat in bananas and extract. With mixer on low speed, gradually beat in flour just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake 60 to 65 minutes until a pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack 5 minutes before removing from pan to rack to cool completely. Slice and enjoy!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment