Monday, November 14, 2011

Sweet Potato Pie

Lately, every place I go has been promoting sweet potato pie for Thanksgiving. The grocery stores have out their holiday tastings and now they all have sweet potato pie. Until this year I had never tried one since we have pumpkin pie in our home for Thanksgiving. I am a fan of sweet potatoes with marshmallows and sweet potato fries or mashed so this had to be good too. What is not to love about pie?! I did enjoy the ones I tried, they have a milder flavor than the spices in pumpkin pie. Of course, now I had to try to make one on my own. I will admit I used a refrigerated pie crust since I didn't get my dad's skills at making pie crusts.

Sweet Potato Pie
Serves 8
Source: Real Simple

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 Tablespoon fresh orange juice
1 Tablespoon honey
1 large/ 1lb sweet potato, cooked and mashed
1/2 12-ounce can evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
9-inch refrigerated pie crust

Directions:

  1. Heat oven to 350° F.
  2. Bring a pot of water to boil. Peel and cut the sweet potato then place in boiling water until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
  3. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium, beat the butter and sugar for 3 minutes. Add the egg, orange juice, and honey and beat for 2 minutes. Add the sweet potato, evaporated milk, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and combine.
  4. Pour the sweet potato mixture into the crust. Bake until the filling is set, 50 to 60 minutes. If crust starts to get too well done cover edges with foil. Let cool for at least 30 minutes. Serve at room temperature, with whipped cream or ice cream.
 

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment