Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A complete dinner without going to the store

As it is officially hurricane season people have said it is a good idea to start using up what is in your freezer just in case there are any bad storms or god forbid an actual hurricane. I have finally started to take their advice and can finally see some space in our freezer. Don't get me wrong, I am leaving those left over frozen cookies because you would NEED those if you lose power. However, for tonight's meal I didn't have to buy a single ingredient and got to use up some pork from the freezer so I consider it a success.
We had 2 pork chops in the freezer which I decided to grill inside due to the dark clouds. I took them out and let them defrost in the refrigerator overnight. I lightly seasoned them on both sides with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder and paprika. Put them on the grill or grill pan for about 5-6 minutes per side or until done. They turned out crispy on the outside but still nice and tender and juicy on the inside.

To me nothing goes better with pork than apples, usually in the form of applesauce. Tonight I made it a little fancier. We had 2 apples in the fruit bin that I sliced thinly and sauteed in a pan with 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter until transparent and tender. This takes about 5-7 minutes depending on how thinly you slice them. You can add a little bit of brown sugar to this if you want to make them a little bit sweeter, but I enjoyed the natural flavor of the apples.

Lastly, I made some couscous from the pantry that is ready in 5 minutes! Boil the water or chicken stock and add in your couscous. Then take it off the heat and cover for 5 minutes. Take the lid off and fluff it up with a fork and you are done. Definitely my go to side dish. Just add some freshly ground pepper and a pinch of salt for flavor.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment