Monday, August 15, 2011

Carrot Spice Muffins

I am a sucker for any baking recipe that I can include fruit or vegetables in it. To me that means I can qualify it as healthy. This was one of the first weekends in a long time that we didn't have anything to do or any place we had to be. We were able to have a leisurely morning to ourselves, oh so nice. I took full advantage and tried out this recipe for carrot spice muffins. I wasn't sure what to expect and if they would be really sweet like a carrot cake, but they were true to a muffin and not very sweet. The walnuts gave it a nice crunch to the otherwise moist muffin. I modified a few things like using applesauce instead of oil. I also omitted the raisins since I don't like raisins in general, let alone in my baked goods. I was also lazy and used a bag of pre-shredded carrots to save some time, but you can peel and grate them yourself and will add even more moisture to the muffins.


Carrot Spice Muffins
Makes 15 muffins
Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I substituted applesauce)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup skim milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup raisins (optional)
1/3 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a muffin tin or line with paper muffin cups.

2. In a large bowl whisk together dry ingredients (flours through brown sugar), making sure there are no lumps.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ones and gently whisk or stir together. Do NOT overmix.

4. Stir in carrots, raisins, and nuts. Divide the batter evenly among muffin cups. (I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup)

5. Bake for 20 minutes (for large muffins) or 12-14 minutes (for mini muffins). Allow muffin pan to cool on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes before removing muffins.


Adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Baking From My Home to Yours

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment