Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Congo Bars

I know it has been a while since my last post, but it seems to have been a busy summer and it just started! I was lucky enough to have one of my best friends come visit for a few days and was busy catching up and not posting. It is so nice to have visitors, especially when this time we hung out by the pool and sunbathed and chatted as if no time had passed. Then of course it was back to reality and work.

When work stresses me out I need to find an outlet or release. Depending on the day that can be through a run, swimming or baking. Today it meant baking since it seems like I haven't done much recently. I had seen a few version of these congo bars on blogs and pinterest. I took today as a great way to not only relieve stress but to try out the recipe since I can bring them to book club tonight, another perk so I don't eat them all. They are soft , chewy and chocolatey with a sweetness from the brown sugar. I added walnuts for a small crunch.

Congo Bars

Ingredients:
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 package milk chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. Combine butter and sugar using a mixer until blended. Add eggs, one at a time to sugar mixture, mixing on low in between each addition. Add vanilla and mix. Add flour and mix until combined. Stir in chips and then pecans.

Coat a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray and spread batter evenly into dish.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Make sure you don’t over bake. Let them cool before cutting and enjoy!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment