Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

In our family we each pick our favorite cake for our birthdays and my mom would let us pick out our favorite cake for her to bake us. This even applied to my Dad, who this cake is in honor of. Her sour cream coffee cake is his favorite and I always think of his birthday when I make it. Growing up my mom would make one half for us kids that didn't have any nuts, just chocolate chips and then another side for them with the walnuts. Now that I am all grown up I think I can handle walnuts in the whole cake.

In my opinion this is one of the best coffee cake recipes. The sour cream keeps it moist and light, the walnuts give it a nice crunch and the cinnamon, sugar and chocolate chips sweeten it but not overly sugary as some can be. While my layers aren't even you can see there is a yummy middle layer that is filled with the cinnamon, sugar, chocolate chips and walnuts that give you a perfect bite of everything.


Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
16oz low fat sour cream
2 cups flour (preferably cake flour, otherwise all-purpose is fine)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
dash salt
Filling:
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F

Cream butter with sugar. Add eggs and sour cream. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixture and add vanilla.

Mix the filling ingredients together.

In a greased tube/angel food pan, put a layer of dough, then 1/2 of the filling mixture, remainder of dough and top with remaining filling.


Bake for 40-50 minutes until golden brown.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment